Juvéderm XC®, Juvéderm Voluma®XC, Juvederm Volbella®, Juvederm Vollure®, Restylane®, Restylane Silk®, and Restylane Lyft® are all hyaluronic acid fillers. JUVÉDERM® AND RESTYLANE® are FDA-approved fillers that present less invasive treatments to achieve a reduction in visible lines and wrinkles. These medications mimic the naturally occurring hyaluronic acids found in the human body. Dr. Elisa Burgess offers these treatments at her Lake Oswego, OR office to patients wishing to reduce the appearance of moderate to severe facial wrinkles. There are multiple reasons people chose to undergo these treatments, including:
- To reduce moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds
- To add structure and volume to the skin
- To restore a youthful appearance before advanced aging requires more invasive procedure
Am I a candidate for facial fillers?
Patients who struggle with moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds are ideal candidates for hyaluronic acids. One of our highly skilled providers can assist you in designing a treatment plan that best suits your individual goals. Currently, the FDA has approved these fillers for patients 21 and older:
- Juvederm Voluma®XC is used to instantly add volume to the cheek or mid-face area. It lifts the cheek and helps to restore a more youthful profile and contour to the face.
- Juvederm Vollure® XC is a hyaluronic acid filler and is primarily used to soften moderate to severe parenthesis lines and folds around the nose and mouth. This produces subtle results lasting up to 18 months.
- Juvederm Volbella® XC is a hyaluronic acid filler designed to enhance the lips and soften the appearance of vertical lip lines. This promotes a natural, hydrated look. This product can also be used underneath the eyes, in the tear troughs, to help plump up sunken areas that appear darker.
- Restylane® adds volume and fullness to areas such as skin folds that run in the nasolabial folds, as well as the lips.
- Restylane Silk® is used in the lips to create a fuller look, that is still soft and natural. It is used slightly more superficially than Restylane to target small lines around the mouth.
- Restylane Lyft® is helpful for moderate to severe facial folds and wrinkles, such as the nasolabial folds, but can also be used in the high cheek area to create a more full, lifting effect of the face. On average, the gel particles in Restylane Lyft are larger than those of Restylane, which makes Lyft a good choice for instant fullness of the upper face. Restylane Lyft is also FDA approved to correct volume deficit to the back of the hands, which can result in a more youthful-looking appearance.
What will treatment be like?
Before the treatment begins, the carefully chosen injection site is cleansed with an antiseptic. Using a special technique, the solution is injected into and below the dermis (a level of the skin). Once injected, the solution binds with water and combines with the naturally occurring hyaluronic acid in the skin. Topical anesthetics may be applied, but some of the treatments contain lidocaine to manage pain. Following injection, the injection site may be massaged to better position the product.
What should I expect after treatment?
Following the procedure, the injection site may feel overly full. Temporary swelling, redness, discoloration, or itching may be experienced at the injection site and usually lasts less than a week. A risk of infection also exists as with any injection procedure. Placing an ice pack over the swollen area may control any swelling. For 24 hours, the patient should avoid strenuous exercise, alcohol, and sun or heat exposure. Results usually last six to twelve months and touch-ups may be required to maintain the desired result.
Individuals interested in correcting wrinkles and folds with a hyaluronic acid filler are encouraged to contact the office.